IFSA - SUMMER IN BUENOS AIRES
Buenos Aires, Argentina
WHY STUDY IN BUENOS AIRES?
Home to countless cultural and sporting attractions, Buenos Aires is one of the most cosmopolitan societies in the world with a distinctly European air. Known for its sophistication and culture, the city offers unparalleled opportunities to enjoy theatre, music, films, sports, and museums. Although Buenos Aires is expansive, the city’s reliable and inexpensive local transportation make getting around a breeze.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Get to know the sights, sounds, tastes, and history that make Buenos Aires a distinctively colorful and lively Argentine city. Whether you prefer class in English or Spanish, you’ll find intriguing options designed to help you explore and understand the porteño way of life.
Catapult your strong Spanish skills forward with an intensive language class. Get to know the themes that play out in 20th century Chilean and Argentine literature. See how an increasingly interconnected world economy has impacted the Argentine nation and Latin America. Learn how Argentines address mental health issues and the impact this approach has for different segments of people. Or discover the events that have shaped Argentina as a leading defender of human rights.
This flexible program includes options for one or two four-week sessions, with the opportunity to layer in an eight-week internship with IFSA Summer Internships in Buenos Aires
During your Summer in Buenos Aires, customize your study abroad experience by taking a single class during the four-week Session 1 or take a single class during the four-week Session 2. You can also extend your studies by enrolling in both Session 1 and Session 2.
Session 1 Classes
Advanced Spanish I
Globalization and Economic Challenges in Latin America
Unheard Voices: Contemporary Literature
Session 2 Classes
Advanced Spanish II
Intervention Strategies in Mental Health
Comparative Perspectives on Human Rights
Please visit Summer in Buenos Aires
for complete class descriptions and syllabi.
CULTURAL ENGAGEMENT ACTIVITIES & EXCURSIONS
Program activities are designed to enhance your intercultural competence by developing your understanding of the local culture and people. They are optional, but they are included in your total program fee. Activities vary each term based on availability, but previous events have included:
- Tango Classes: Showcase your moves during two separate, exciting tango classes. One lesson takes place in a traditional milonga, a dedicated space for tango dancers, followed by a delicious dinner. The second lesson takes place at a LGBTQ+ friendly milongal. Here the tango is danced without tradtional dance roles assigned by gender.
- Graffiti Tour: Capture intricate murals during a guided tour of the famous and colorful La Boca neighborhood.
- ¿Comprendes español?: Practice your Spanish skills with a local Argentine during a language exchange event hosted by the IFSA Buenos Aires Global Flagship.
- BA Celebra: Celebrate the vast community of identities in Argentina at Buenos Aires Celebra Colectividades where countries such as Bolivia, Paraguay, Peru, and Venezuela show off their foods, dances, and culture!
- Walking Tour: Explore the Palermo neighborhood, a nature preservation, and the popular MALBA museum.
- Mataderos Fair: Soak in the neighborhood of Mataderos to experience Argentine traditions and indulge in some local dishes such as torta frita, locro stew, empanadas, or of course the famous dulce de leche pancake.
IFSA excursions are included in your total program fee and though these are optional, most students choose to participate. Excursions vary each term based on availability.
- La Plata Day Trip: Spend a day in La Plata, the capital of the Buenos Aires Province, visiting the Republic of Children. This organization was founded with the purpose of teaching children the importance of exercising their rights as citizens.
- Uribelarrea Day Trip: Uribelarrea is a small town that preserves its history and traditions, including festive folkloric activities. Learn how to raise goats and experience making goat cheese!
- Tigre Visit: Enjoy a boat ride and kayaking during this relaxing excursion to the city of Tigre.
- San Antonio de Areco Day Trip: Savor the delights of a traditional Argentine barbecue in the small town of San Antonio de Areco, well known for its strong gaucho traditions.
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN MY IFSA PROGRAM?
|BEGIN YOUR STUDY ABROAD JOURNEY
Choose your ideal program by customizing and personalizing your search filters. Using IFSA’s search tool, you can find programs by searching beyond location and area of study.
Using CHART, you’ll be able to see which classes abroad fit easily into your academic plan. You can also see which classes your home institution has already approved to guarantee that your credits will align.
Apply Online Today.
Our easy online application process is here for you! Simply log in to the IFSA Student Portal and answer questions about yourself to get started. If you get stuck or have questions, reach out to our IFSA team. We’re here to help.
WE’RE HERE FOR YOU
- Academic Support
- Administrative Fees and Applications Fees
- Airport Pickup
- Activities and Excursions (including transportation and meals)
- Guaranteed Housing
- International Medical Insurance
- Internet Access in Housing
- Internship, Directed Research, and Volunteer Opportunities (on many programs)
- Meals (on some programs)
- Official Transcript with U.S. Credit Translation
- On-site Orientation
- On-site Staff Support (including in-person meetings and emergencies)
- Pre-arrival Advising