Programs > Brochure
IFSA - 21st Century City
Shanghai, China (Abroad Opportunities Program)
|Website||Click to visit|
|Program Type:||3. Direct/External Programs||Language of Instruction:||English, Mandarin|
|Abroad Opportunities:||Study Abroad||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
|Housing Options:||Apartment||Class Status:||2-sophomore, 3-junior, 4-senior|
Study Abroad in CHINA
About this Program
The 21st Century City program examines the history of Shanghai, its process of rapid urbanization, and China's interface with the West in this dynamic Asian center. The 15-credit semester is comprised of a required core class and Chinese language along with two electives.
Shanghai has grown exponentially in the last hundred years—from a colonial trading port to a massive international metropolis with a population of 24 million. Known for its fast-paced industry and cosmopolitan vibe, the city is intricately connected with the global flows of commodities and people. It also represents the enormous environmental, economic, and social challenges that are mirrored across China and around the world. Want to study international trade or sustainable urbanization? Shanghai is your city.
- Chinese Society in the 21st Century (3 U.S. semester credit hours)
- Essential Chinese (1 U.S. semester credit hour)
- Beginning Chinese I (6 U.S. semester credit hours)
- Beginning Chinese II (6 U.S. semester credit hours)
- Intermediate Chinese I (6 U.S. semester credit hours)
- Intermediate Chinese II (6 U.S. semester credit hours)
- Advanced Chinese I (6 U.S. semester credit hours)
- Advanced Chinese II (6 U.S. semester credit hours)
- Advanced Chinese III (6 U.S. semester credit hours)
- Advanced Chinese IV (6 U.S. semester credit hours)
- Advanced Readings in Chinese (6 U.S. semester credit hours)
- Business Chinese I (3 U.S. semester credit hours)
- Business Chinese II (3 U.S. semester credit hours)
All area studies classes are taught in English and are 3 U.S. semester credit hours each. Not all electives may be offered in a given semester depending on enrollment and faculty availability.
- City and Environment
- Internship Methodology Seminar
- Sino-U.S. Relations: Superpower and Realignment
- Contemporary Chinese Politics: State, Party, People
- Survey of Art in China
- Exploring Community & Culture in a Global Context
You may also choose from our International Business in China and Public Health Policy and Practice elective classes at the IFSA Shanghai Global Flagship.
IFSA scholarships are primarily need-based and factor in any additional cost your study abroad program might have over home school tuition. The awards are $500 for summer programs, $1,500 for semester programs and $2,500 for full year programs. These scholarships may apply to any IFSA program, with the exception of our custom programs.
Take the Next Step
- Visit our website for more information about our 21st Century City program, including previous course syllabi, housing arrangements, co-curricular activities, and field study trips.
- Contact your Student Services Manager at 800-858-0229 or http://email@example.com
- Apply to an IFSA program now!
6201 Corporate Drive, Suite 200
Indianapolis, IN 46278
Phone: 800- 858-0229