|Website||Click to visit|
|Program Type:||3. Direct/External Programs||Language of Instruction:||English, Other|
|Abroad Opportunities:||Study Abroad||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
|Housing Options:||Homestay, Residence Hall||Class Status:||2-sophomore, 3-junior, 4-senior|
Immerse yourself in Ghanaian life by enrolling in courses with local and international students at CIEE’s partner school, University of Ghana – ranked 7th best university in Africa for its focus on humanities, basic and applied sciences, education, and health sciences. Other subject areas include biology, dance, economics, history, music, political science, public health, sociology, and more. Students can take a full course load at University of Ghana or combine courses with CIEE electives including options for internships.
All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.
LEARN ABOUT WEST AFRICA
outside of the classroom by living with a Ghanaian family or on-campus housing, volunteering, interning, and observing day-to-day life.
at the University of Ghana - ranked 7th best university in Africa - in humanities, basic and applied sciences, education, and health sciences.
EXPLORE BEYOND LEGON
with field trips and excursions around this equatorial region.
Excursions & Activities
- Travel to Cape Coast and Elmina to see slave castles and the starting point of the transatlantic journey.
- Visit the Ashanti region to explore the traditional chieftaincy institution, history, and culture as well as the role women play in the making and unmaking of chiefs among the Ashanti people.
- Experience regional highlights like Aburi Botanical Gardens, Tetteh Quarshie Cocoa Farm, Boti Falls, Kwame Nkrumah Mausoleum, Lake Volta, Tafi-Atome monkey sanctuary, and the W.E.B. Dubois Center.
- Get involved on campus by joining a music, theater, or art group, or meeting up with Ghanaian students for soccer, running, swimming, field hockey, or tennis. Basketball and baseball are also getting popular.
- Take advantage of campus lectures, discussions, and receptions.
Gain important real-world experience and academic credit by pursuing an internship. Opportunities include: shadowing doctors and nurses during ward rounds at the West Africa AIDS Foundation and International Health Care Center; teaching English or math and mentor children at the Future Leaders Underprivileged Care Center; assisting with research and advocacy governance think tanks like the Ghana Anti-Corruption Coalition and Ghana Integrity Initiative, or working alongside entrepreneurs in various fields of business and social enterprises.
Have a look at some for-credit internship options: [youtube videos]
Volunteering. Get involved with local Ghanaians through service work. Volunteer at after-school programs such as the Play and Learn Foundation, an orphanage, environmental NGO, educational NGO, or similar organization.
Community Service. Join other CIEE students for a group-service project, like painting, tree planting , cleaning a special needs center, mentoring kids at an orphanage and providing tutorials in basic math and English as well as teaching IT skills, collecting donations, or building a water filtration system.
Community Engagement. Immerse yourself in the Ghanaian culture while giving back to your host community. In the past, students have volunteered at daycare centers, elementary and junior high schools, teaching computer literacy, coaching soccer, and mentoring disadvantaged youth. CIEE Legon also undertakes community service every semester. Past projects have included painting, weeding, cleaning a special needs center, collecting donations of clothing items, and building a water filtering system for a village.
Peer Support. Have the support of a U-Pal – a CIEE-trained University of Ghana student who will help you get settled and connected in Legon socially and academically.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- One-week orientation – an introduction to Ghanaian culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Cultural and/or Co-curricular Activities
- Excursions and/or Study Tours
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us