|Website||Click to visit|
|Program Type:||2. Sponsored Programs, 3. Direct/External Programs||Language of Instruction:||English, Mandarin|
|Abroad Opportunities:||Study Abroad||Minimum GPA:||2.75|
|Housing Options:||Homestay, Residence Hall||Class Status:||2-sophomore|
Gain an in-depth understanding of China and experience China firsthand with study abroad in Shanghai, one of the fastest growing cities in the world. Take courses in English at CIEE Global Institute – Shanghai and accelerate your Mandarin skills while exploring colonial history, foreign policy, political development, and social issues that have impeded or given rise to modern China. Those with advanced Mandarin proficiency may take a course taught in Chinese. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.
BEGIN OR CONTINUE YOUR STUDY
of Mandarin Chinese with outstanding support.
SEE THE CHINA BEYOND SHANGHAI
the one tourists often miss – with a one-week excursion.
LEARN ABOUT CHINESE POLITICS,
economy, society, and more with a broad selection of courses taught in English.
Excursions & Activities
- Learn about Chinese business with company visits in Shanghai.
- Join classmates for a thrilling acrobat performance, river cruise, group meals, and more.
- Explore Chinese history and arts with visits to museums, art exhibitions, and plays.
- Travel to beautiful cities such as:
- Suzhou, often called the “Venice of the East” for its many canals, classical gardens, and silk industry
- Hangzhou, known for its natural beauty as well as its textile and tech industries
- Nanjing, one of China’s four ancient capitals and major commercial centers
- Zhujiajiao, a traditional water town lined with stone bridges, cobblestone lanes, and canals
- Gain hands-on cultural experience by learning Chinese cooking, calligraphy, martial arts, or mahjong.
- Connect with the community by volunteering with local organizations or schools.
Study abroad students participating in the Organizational Internship course will be assigned to an internship project with a company in Shanghai. The internship sponsors, which vary each term depending on participating organizations and available positions, may include local Chinese companies and multinational companies, as well as international small and medium-sized enterprises and nonprofit organizations. Course curriculum includes class introduction, coached work, and final presentation to earn three academic credits. See the “Curriculum” section for more detail.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- One-week orientation – an introduction to Chinese culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Cultural and/or Co-curricular Activities
- Excursions and/or Study Tours
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us