|Website||Click to visit|
|Program Type:||3. Direct/External Programs||Language of Instruction:||Spanish|
|Abroad Opportunities:||Study Abroad||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
|Housing Options:||Homestay||Class Status:||3-junior|
Your Spanish language proficiency will improve dramatically while you savor the amazing sights and sounds of Santiago through conversations with your host family and courses of your choice at three acclaimed universities. With a cast of distinctive neighborhoods that ranges from Centro to Lastarria and Las Condes, you’ll return with memories of rich encounters that will have a lasting impact on your professional and personal life.
Study abroad in Santiago and you will:
- Improve your Spanish language proficiency
- Learn about Chile through field trips and excursions
- Immerse yourself in Chilean academic and social life through homestays, cultural and co-curricular activities, as well as CIEE community engagement opportunities
Related program eligibility language requirement: 4 semesters of Spanish language study (or equivalent). Students are able to enroll in business classes offered at Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (PUC Chile), Universidad de Chile, Facultad Economía y Negocios (UC FEN), or CIEE in Spanish. CIEE-administered classes are not reported on the PUC Chile nor UC FEN transcripts.
TAKE YOUR PICK
of classes taught in Spanish at any of our partner universities: Universidad de Chile, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, and Universidad Diego Portales.
LIVE WITH A LOCAL FAMILY
and take part in the Chilean lifestyle, discuss issues that come up in class, and of course, practice your Spanish!
GET TO KNOW CHILE
with a homestay and activities, such as film nights, urban bike tours with Santiago student ambassadors, and hikes in the foothills of the Andes mountains.
Excursions & Activities
Each program has frequent cultural excursions and a multi-day study tour uniquely designed to complement the program’s academics and enhance cultural immersion. In Santiago, students might:
- Explore Valparaíso and Viña del Mar
- Head south to Pomaire village for a taste of local artisans and empanadas
- Visit San Pedro de Atacama and explore pre-Columbian culture at the archaeological museum
- Get an intimate look at Chilean Poet Pablo Neruda’s life with a tour of his home on Isla Negra
Get to know Santiago better, say “gracias” for your stay, and return home with valuable experience. We can help with:
- Non-credit internships in social service organizations and NGOs that work in social policy, community service, and education
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Five-day orientation in Santiago – an introduction to Chilean culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us