|Website||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||Temple University|
|Program Type:||3. Direct/External Programs||Language of Instruction:||Spanish|
|Abroad Opportunities:||Study Abroad||Minimum GPA:||2.75|
|Housing Options:||Homestay||Class Status:||3-junior|
Temple University Spring Semester in Oviedo, Spain
Temple University's Spring Semester in Spain Program is based at the University of Oviedo in the province of Asturias, one of the most culturally significant regions in Spain. The program is designed for students who have completed at least four semesters of college-level Spanish, or the equivalent, and are committed to further developing their Spanish language skills.
As a study abroad student, you will be enrolled in the University of Oviedo's Cursos de Lengua y Cultura Españolas para Extranjeros program, which offers courses in Spanish language and culture to international students. An integral part of the university, the program offers a broad range of courses, conducted in Spanish, at the intermediate and advanced levels and is housed at La Casa de Las Lenguas, a center dedicated to language learning.
- Undergraduate courses in Spanish language, literature, translation, history, art and cultural studies
- You enroll in one of the program tracks below (intermediate or advanced), depending on your Spanish language background and take 5 courses within that track, for a total of 15 semester hours.
- Courses are taught by native Spanish-speaking faculty of the university in addition to Temple University faculty member, Dr. Jaime Durán.
- Intermediate Level
- Advanced Level
All students will take a language placement test upon arrival in Oviedo to confirm their language track.
- Students must be at least 19 years old by the start date of their study in Spain.
- Students must be currently enrolled as full-time, matriculated undergraduate students who will have completed at least three semesters of college-level study with a satisfactory scholastic average (minimum 2.75 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale from all colleges/universities attended).
- Program participants must have completed a minimum of four semesters of university-level Spanish, or the equivalent.
- Students on academic and/or disciplinary probation or warning may not participate.
- All participants must undertake a full-time course load of 5 courses for 15 semester hours, and be applying credits earned toward a degree.
Once accepted, we provide you with detailed pre-departure materials designed to guide you in preparing yourself for your time in Spain. Pre-departure materials include:
Course registration materials
Passport information and visa application instructions
Travel and arrival information
Health and safety information
Billing document, containing confirmed tuition and program fees, and payment policies
Education Abroad and the Program Director host an orientation on Temple's Main Campus in Philadelphia during the semester prior to your departure. Students who do not live in the Philadelphia area will be invited to attend the orientation online. An on-site orientation, designed to introduce students to life in Spain, takes place in Madrid during the first several days of the program, before going to Oviedo.
Housing with a local host family
Includes three meals a day and laundry service
Living with a host family offers the best opportunity to practice your Spanish in a natural setting and have direct access to local lifestyle, gastronomy and social life
Spring Semester - September 22
Education Abroad and Overseas Campuses
200 Tuttleman Learning Center
1809 N. 13th St.
Philadelphia, PA 19122