Programs > Brochure
SIT Study Abroad Morocco: Multiculturalism and Human Rights
Rabat, Morocco (Abroad Opportunities Program)
|Website||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||SIT/World Learning|
|Program Type:||3. Direct/External Programs||Language of Instruction:||Arabic, English|
|Abroad Opportunities:||Study Abroad||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
|Housing Options:||Homestay, Hostel/Hotel||Class Status:||2-sophomore, 3-junior, 4-senior|
NOTE: SIT will make every effort to maintain its programs as described. To respond to emergent situations, like COVID-19, SIT may have to modify programs. Visit the SIT website for more details.
Examine challenges shaping Morocco and the Arab world since the 2011 Arab Spring. Learn about human rights and social movements in a multicultural context.
OverviewMorocco is a mix of geographic and human landscapes including the Atlas Mountains, the vast Sahara Desert, traditional Berber villages, and the modern cities of Rabat and Casablanca. Amid modernization and democratization, diverse Arab, Berber, and sub-Saharan African cultures are deeply rooted in age-old traditions emphasizing community and family. Explore the present-day characteristics, challenges, and complexities of multiculturalism and human rights in Morocco. Excursions north and south will examine economic development, gender issues, environmental problems, and the role of civil society.
- Study issues impacting Morocco and the rest of the Arab World following the Arab Spring in 2011
- Discuss current issues with Moroccan University students and get their perspectives
- Meet Amazighs, Jews, Arabs, and sub-Saharan Africans to understand Morocco's cultural diversity
- Explore the sand dunes of the Sahara on a camel trek
Please visit the SIT Study Abroad website for details on the program courses (including syllabi), educational excursions, and housing.
KEY TOPICS OF STUDY
- The interplay between authoritarianism and human right following Morocco’s Arab Spring
- Tensions between secular and religious approaches to individual freedoms
- Liberal reforms in areas such as women’s rights, ethnicity, and state violence
MONEY MATTERSBe sure to discuss how study abroad costs are handled at your school with your study abroad advisor.
SIT tuition and room and board fees include the following:
- All educational costs, including educational excursions
- All accommodations and meals for the full program duration
- Transportation to and from the airport, and on all educational excursions
- Health and accident insurance
- SIT awards nearly $1.6 million in scholarships and grants annually.
- All scholarships and grants are need-based.
- Awards generally range from $500 to $5,000 for semester programs.
- Contact the financial aid and/or study abroad office(s) at your college or university to learn if your school’s scholarships and grants and federal and state aid programs can be applied to an SIT Study Abroad program.
CONTACT SIT STUDY ABROAD
- Visit our website: studyabroad.sit.edu
- Request more information or email us: email@example.com
- Call an admissions counselor: 888-272-7881
- Contact a former student.
- Apply to SIT