Programs > Brochure
SIT Study Abroad Senegal: Global Security and Religious Pluralism
Dakar, Senegal; Rabat, Morocco (Abroad Opportunities Program)
|Website||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||SIT/World Learning|
|Program Type:||3. Direct/External Programs||Language of Instruction:||English, French|
|Abroad Opportunities:||Study Abroad||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
|Housing Options:||Homestay, Hostel/Hotel||Class Status:||2-sophomore, 3-junior, 4-senior|
NOTE: SIT will make every effort to maintain its programs as described. To respond to emergent situations, like COVID-19, SIT may have to modify programs. Visit the SIT website for more details.
Critically examine global security discourse and see how Senegal's fascinating mix of religions presents a model for global peace from a decolonial perspective.
WHY STUDY GLOBAL SECURITY IN SENEGAL?At a time when terrorism is often identified as religious extremism, a time when a “clash of civilizations” mentality often prevails. Senegal provides a model of religious, ethnic, and social coexistence in which radicalization is rare and people of different traditions work in accord with one another. Explore how Senegalese society has cultivated peaceful coexistence in religiously plural settings—coexistence that is rooted in indigenous philosophies that permeate the cultural landscape to this day. Visit towns where indigenous practitioners, Catholics, and Muslims live in harmony; eco-villages that fight for sustainability; security institutions that vie for economic resilience; and diverse religious institutions that cooperate with local populations for spiritual betterment. Travel to Morocco to see how its Sufi orders differ from Senegal’s and how they shape Moroccan society and politics.
- Discuss program themes with peers from Senegal and neighboring African countries.
- Explore international and regional security institutions.
- Visit Senegal's rural areas and experience daily life during a rural homestay.
- Examine political relations between Sufi orders in Morocco and Senegal.
Please visit the SIT Study Abroad website for details on the program courses (including syllabi), educational excursions, and housing.
KEY TOPICS OF STUDY
- Indigenous religion as a foundation of philosophy
- Religious tolerance in Senegal
- The relationship between religion and state
- Local movements of resistance and empowerment
- Regional security policies, programs, and projects
- International and regional institutions for peace
MONEY MATTERSBe sure to discuss how study abroad costs are handled at your school with your study abroad advisor.
SIT tuition and room and board fees include the following:
- All educational costs, including educational excursions
- All accommodations and meals for the full program duration
- Transportation to and from the airport, and on all educational excursions
- Health and accident insurance
- SIT awards nearly $1.6 million in scholarships and grants annually.
- All scholarships and grants are need-based.
- Awards generally range from $500 to $5,000 for semester programs.
- Contact the financial aid and/or study abroad office(s) at your college or university to learn if your school’s scholarships and grants and federal and state aid programs can be applied to an SIT Study Abroad program.
CONTACT SIT STUDY ABROAD
- Visit our website: studyabroad.sit.edu
- Request more information or email us: email@example.com
- Call an admissions counselor: 888-272-7881
- Contact a former student.
- Apply to SIT