Programs > Brochure
SIT Study Abroad Tunisia and Italy: Politics and Religious Integration in the Mediterranean
Sicily, Italy; Tunis, Tunisia (Abroad Opportunities Program)
|Website||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||SIT/World Learning|
|Program Type:||3. Direct/External Programs||Language of Instruction:||English|
|Abroad Opportunities:||Study Abroad||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
|Housing Options:||Homestay, Hostel/Hotel||Class Status:||2-sophomore, 3-junior, 4-senior|
NOTE: SIT will make every effort to maintain its programs as described. To respond to emergent situations, like COVID-19, SIT may have to modify programs. Visit the SIT website for more details.
Study the interplay of politics, mass migration, and religion at the crossroads of the Mediterranean in Tunisia and Italy. Brush up on your language skills.
WHY STUDY MIGRATION IN TUNISIA & ITALY?Tunisia and Italy sit at the crossroads of the Mediterranean. Here, you will study the interplay between migration, regional politics, and religion. In Tunis, the country’s capital, less than 100 miles south of Europe and the birthplace of the Arab Spring, you will examine Tunisia’s peaceful transition to democracy. During a three-week excursion to Sicily, a port of call for immigrants, explore migration to Europe and meet with members of the North African immigrant community to discuss the impact of religious practice and formation of social identity.
- Live in the charming coastal village of Sidi Bou Said.
- Spend three weeks in Sicily, often the first port of call for immigrants.
- Observe the impact of religious practice on social identity.
- Study Arabic or French and learn conversational Italian.
PREREQUISITESNone. The program is of interest to students studying political science, international relations, international studies, migration and refugee studies, European studies, Middle Eastern Studies, religious studies, global studies, sociology, and anthropology. Students with some background in French will be able to practice at their homestay in Tunis.
Please visit the SIT Study Abroad website for details on the program courses (including syllabi), educational excursions, and housing.
KEY TOPICS OF STUDY
- Tunisia’s political transformation, transitional justice, and democracy
- Sicily as a case study for the EU’s “open door” policy
- Secular politics, political Islam, religion and public life
- Regional relations and religious integration in the Mediterranean
MONEY MATTERSBe sure to discuss how study abroad costs are handled at your school with your study abroad advisor.
SIT tuition and room and board fees include the following:
- All educational costs, including educational excursions
- All accommodations and meals for the full program duration
- Transportation to and from the airport, and on all educational excursions
- Health and accident insurance
- SIT awards nearly $1.6 million in scholarships and grants annually.
- All scholarships and grants are need-based.
- Awards generally range from $500 to $5,000 for semester programs.
- Contact the financial aid and/or study abroad office(s) at your college or university to learn if your school’s scholarships and grants and federal and state aid programs can be applied to an SIT Study Abroad program.
CONTACT SIT STUDY ABROAD
- Visit our website: studyabroad.sit.edu
- Request more information or email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call an admissions counselor: 888-272-7881
- Contact a former student.
- Apply to SIT