|Website||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||Spanish Studies Abroad|
|Program Type:||3. Direct/External Programs||Language of Instruction:||Spanish|
|Abroad Opportunities:||Internship Abroad, Study Abroad||Housing Options:||Homestay|
|Class Status:||1-first year, 2-sophomore, 3-junior, 4-senior, 6-other|
Semester & Summer Service Learning Programs
Addressing issues in your host community and reaching out to others is a rewarding way to spend your time abroad. Service learning projects allow you to gain personal and professional development experience while improving your Spanish. Qualified students will be exposed to the daily lives of local citizens not otherwise experienced from the classroom.
Our program locations in Seville and Alicante, Spain and Córdoba, Argentina host a complex and diverse array of community outreach groups and educational organizations through which students can develop unique professional experiences abroad. Placements are made to suit each student's personal and academic goals. Regular meetings with the Resident Director and guided reflection support you through the experience. Complementary courses help you to work through the linguistic and cultural challenges you may run into while in the field.
Learn the Language...
- Practical Spanish language experience in a local service learning placement
- Linguistic support through intensive language courses
- Optional semester course taught in Spanish by native professors
- Intercambios with native speakers
Travel the Land...
- All-inclusive program-sponsored study trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions arranged by Spanish Studies Abroad
- Ample time for independent travel
Live the Life...
- Guidance through work culture by placement supervisor
- Spanish Studies Abroad -designed course to aid cultural adaptation
- Regular meetings with the Resident Director to troubleshoot challenges encountered in the field
- Homestays with local families (housing in a student residence is also available in Seville)
Gain professional experience, improve your Spanish, and serve your host community. Spanish Studies Abroad works with you to find a service learning placement that matches your interests and goals.
The curriculum allows you to maximize your experience by providing you with the language and cultural tools necessary for a productive placement. Aligned with the regular Spanish Studies semester program, you begin with an intensive language and culture course. During your service learning placement you have regular contact with the Resident Director, a supplemental course in cultural reflection, and an option to enroll in a semester course.
Spanish Studies offers you the unique opportunity to undertake in an intensive 8-week service learning placement, while benefiting from homestays and regularly scheduled cultural trips and activities offered by Spanish Studies Abroad. A one-credit language training course helps you to gain the linguistic tools necessary to integrate into Spanish work culture.
- Placement in a service learning project
- Room & board
- Support of onsite Spanish Studies staff
- Pre-departure support
- Overnight and local study visits
- Cultural activities
- Health insurance
- A Spanish Studies transcript
- Optional trips and activities are also available.
- Ability to understand normal, rapid Spanish; two semesters of advanced college Spanish or the equivalent.
- 3.0 GPA in Spanish Language coursework. Exceptions may be made with strong recommendations from faculty.
Other Service Learning Opportunities:
Spanish Studies Abroad also offers Internship and Service Learning Course Options for qualified students alongside coursework in the regular semester programs in Spain, Argentina, and Puerto Rico. Visit https://www.spanishstudies.org/internship-course.html for more information.